[Beowulf] how can I calculate peak performance of a cluster

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 27 07:44:41 PDT 2005

guren at be.itu.edu.tr writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to calculate peak performance of cluster which  HP HPC Cluster
> consist of different numbers of INTEL Xeon 3.4GHz EM64T , INTEL Xeon DP
> 3.2GHz EM64T ,INTEL MP XEON 3.16GHz EM64T processors. I think it is easy,
> but I couldn't find.many

There are lots of choices.  lmbench, spec (if your organization
participates), linpack, hpcc, benchmaster, stream, netpipe.  Google Is
Your Friend (GIYF) -- use these as keyworks in searches.

Be warned -- using a benchmark to "calculate peak performance" is
usually a waste of time and is generally done for political reasons, not
practical/operational ones.  You'd be much better off using the
microbenchmarks or macrobenchmarks on this list to develop a performance
PROFILE of your cluster nodes -- learning how fast they each can access
streaming memory (stream), access memory randomly or do transcendental
function evals (benchmaster), run representative applications (spec), or
do various microscopic operations (lmbench, netpipe, benchmaster).  That
kind of information is actually useful both in selecting a cluster
architecture that matches your application's needs and in tuning your
application to your cluster architecture.

   rgb