[Beowulf] Re: OT: PXE boot with no control over DHCP?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 22 08:14:26 PDT 2005

Brian R Smith writes:

> What does your dhcpd.conf file look like and what does your campus
> network look like e.g. subnet and address range?  Feel free to obfuscate
> any info you don't really want publicized.
>
> Also, what type of firewall rules did you use to punch your hole?  I
> found that I actually had to shut off iptables for the 5 minutes it took
> the nodes to PXE install.

One wonders if something like ssh port forwarding might help.  With it
you might well be able to drill a hole through the campus intermediary
layers that they cannot intercept or interfere with.  I have never used
it for pxe or dhcp (and somebody at Duke did work to solve exactly this
problem in their own domain -- how to manage pxe installs and so on
without proper control over dhcp -- without notable success that I
recall) but I have used ssh port forwarding to circumvent all sorts of
uncontrolled intermediary layers with nothing but a firewall hole for
port 22.  To install duke-only software from home without using a vpn or
proxy connection, for example -- I just tunnel rsync on through.

If dhcp and pxe are tcp/udp level broadcasts, then I think that Brian is
right -- a faster local server should win, and once you've one you
SHOULD be able to tunnel the associated traffic through anything in
between at some cost in efficiency via ssl tunnels or ssh tunnels (for
example).

A final possibility is to create a very simple local install agent that
manages the initial install on the workstations, which then finish off
via yum from your central repo.  Something like warewulf, for example --
boot in the LAN into a warewulf image that then runs a yum chroot
install from your repo.  A bit ugly and definitely would require work,
though, but is SHOULD work.

   rgb