[Beowulf] SC|05: will 10Ge beat IB?

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Sun Nov 27 04:55:22 PST 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>>Fibre-media converters are still expensive and as far as I have heard, no
>>>one is pushing 10G over copper.
>

> oh, yes they are.  I probably should have mentioned that - the multitude
> of 10G ports I saw at SC|05 were almost entirely copper (CX4).

The single-fiber SFP transceiver is shamefully expensive, it is
basically a 4-way WDM module. There is an effort in the 10G committees
to spec the quad-fiber cable that is used for many other things. It is
much less expensive because there is no need for WDM, and it keeps the
good properties of fiber cables.

> from Myricom, 10G appears to be at around $1k/port (all in).  I haven't
> gotten any real/firm prices on this, though, and certainly didn't ask

The last time I asked, the public price was roughly (it of course
depends on the number of nodes) $800 per port (all in) for 2G/Fiber,
$1200 per port for 10G/Copper and $1600 per port for 10G/Fiber. For the
IT market, the 10G/Copper NIC with the Ethernet-mode firmware was $800.

Patrick
--
Patrick Geoffray
Myricom, Inc.