[Beowulf] file IO benchmark

Joachim Worringen joachim at ccrl-nece.de
Thu Nov 24 08:21:02 PST 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:49:08PM +0100, Joachim Worringen wrote:
>

>>>I've always liked Bonnie++ from fellow Melbournite Russel Coker:
>>>
>>>	http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/
>>
>>Well, the problem is that this is single-process, single-file benchmark,
>>which is often very different from the I/O that a parallel application
>>performs.
>

> Is iozone better in that regards? I find its output more difficult
> to parse, even if dumped as an Excel sheet and visualized.

I/O is a complex topic, and a single number rarely tells you enough if you want
to analyze what's going on. For this purpose, IOzone is very powerful. But
again, it does only run on a single node (although can fork processes/threads to
perform concurrent operations). You could start it on multiple nodes, but then
the I/O is not synhronized, which may or may not what you want to do.

For the purpose of the OP, IOzone is way to complex.

  Joachim

--
Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 - http://www.ccrl-nece.de