[Beowulf] file IO benchmark

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Nov 24 07:36:54 PST 2005

Hi Toon:

   A little more than a year ago we use io-bench from HPCC which I did a
quick MPI port with.  We were showing 1.8-2.1 GB/s sustained to a
Panasas disk (http://www.panasas.com) system from a cluster.  We also
used the oocore (see http://www.nsf.gov/div/index.jsp?org=OCI).  Again,
using the Panasas disk, we were about 5x the speed of the nearest SAN
solutions on 32 nodes, and more than an order of magnitude faster at 128
nodes.

   If you want a copy of my rather naive MPI port of io-bench, let me
see if we can redistribute it.  If you want oocore, surf over to
http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=nsf0605 or grab it
from http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2006/nsf0605/oocore.tar.gz

   BTW:  I cannot say enough good things about the Panasas file system.
  If you want raw speed to your cluster, there aren't too many things
out there that can give it a run for the money.

Joe