[Beowulf] A Cluster of Motherboard.

Glen Gardner vze24qhw at verizon.net
Wed Nov 9 17:59:21 PST 2005

Fernando;

Yes it is possible to build a cluster using motherboards and pc parts.

go here and look at one: http://mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/
The latest version of this cluster has the boards stacked behind a 12
inch high rack panel and up to 18 mini-itx form factor motherboards can
be stacked into a 19 inch wide by 12 inch high by 26 inch deep rack
space in this way.

To stack regular PC motherboards like that you must be sure you have
each motherboard mounted on a metal plate to act as a high frequency
ground plane and thermal sink. You will also need a separate power
supply or voltage regulator for each motherboard just like in a regular
pc. Also, for pentium and opteron motherboards you will need fans to
circulate air across the boards to prevent overheating.

Cheers!

Glen Gardner