[Beowulf] A Cluster of Motherboard.

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 10 10:02:54 PST 2005

At 07:20 AM 11/10/2005, Josip Loncaric wrote:
>Robert G. Brown wrote:
>>On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, oxylabtech at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>It would like to know if is possible to make a cluster of
>>>motherboards? I don't speaking in a cluster of PC's, but of
>>>motherboards. Somebody already saw? If it is possible, Could someone
>>>help me?

>><snip>

>>you pack things too close together without shielding you
>>could conceivably get some electrical oddities that destabilize things.
>
>A cheap bare case can cost less than $20 -- and can save you a lot of
>work, although perhaps not shelf space.  For safety, ease of installation,
>and FCC EM reasons, cheap metal cases should be considered.

Don't forget labor.. The case already has holes punched in it, and probably
those nifty little plastic mounting standoffs, etc.  Do not underestimate
the time it takes to drill 8 holes in each of 96 plates, insert the 800
screws, put on a washer, find the nut that you dropped and is now rattling
around.

The breakeven where the "mechanical hassle" factor becomes really annoying
is probably in the dozen or so motherboard scale.

I once had to work on a system where we had several thousand lightbulbs to
wire up.  Never again.