[Beowulf] [owner-chemistry at ccl.net: CCL:G: Linda with Fedora]

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Thu Nov 10 07:55:27 PST 2005

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> writes:

> On 11/10/05, Ulrike Salzner salzner,fen.bilkent.edu.tr
> <owner-chemistry^-^ccl.net> wrote:
>> Sent to CCL by: Ulrike Salzner [salzner!^!fen.bilkent.edu.tr]
>> I am about to built a Linux cluster using Linda/G03. I am using Fedora
>> Core 3 and 4. Since this version of Linux is not supported by Gaussian,
>> I need to know whether Linda will work. Gaussian runs fine with Fedora
>> Core 3 but it seems to have problems with FC4 kernel 2.6.11-1.1369.

I'd say it's the libc version that creates problems for Gaussian, not
the kernel.

I'd recommend using CentOS 3 or 4 rather than Fedora Core. Fedora is
too rapidly moving, and you never know when an update might cause
Gaussian to keel over. CentOS (a free rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise)
is much more conservative than Fedora, but similar enough that you
won't have any trouble dealing with it if you are used to Fedora.

We have managed to get Gaussian 03 work with Linda on CentOS 3, after
much frustration and swearing. The trick is to use Linda binaries
compiled on Red Hat 8. Those binaries end up having just the right
set of libc dependencies to work with the CentOS 3 libc version.

Of course, you end up paying $500 to Gaussian in "media fee" to get
those binaries, even if you have already paid for the full-out compute
center source code license for Gaussian. (You don't get the Linda
source code, though.)

(I'm assuming Eugen will cross-post back to the correct list, or that
Ulrike reads this list.)

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert