[Beowulf] 32 1.3 GHz Itanium 2's on Ebay for $305

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon May 23 06:09:28 PDT 2005

Hi Andrew,

http://www.intel.com/software/products/cluster/cluster_sys_license.htm

Additional $4990 for the intel MPI library for x86-64,
Another $4990 for Intel® Cluster Math Kernel Library 7.2 (how else to do
important numeric calculations efficient at it?)

Additional some money for licenses for intel c++ compilers. We'll save out
money for tracers and debuggers then, as software running on such platforms
usually is from the 80s and already debugged or very bad debugged anyway.

In fact i can't even find exactly the price for intel c++ for x86-64 price.
I see many different prices.

Without intel c++ you won't get performance out of itanium2 of course.

For diep (integer program) using intel c++ a 1.3Ghz itanium2 has same speed
like a K7 at 2.0Ghz or an opteron at 1.3Ghz.

I feel you can build such clusters easier and cheaper than dual itanium2
cluster.

Vincent

p.s. the power consumption of itanium2 is beyond all reasonability