[Beowulf] Re: Table of best compiler flags for different CPUs?

Steve Cousins cousins at limpet.umeoce.maine.edu
Wed May 11 08:26:17 PDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Tom Crick wrote:

> Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I've
> previously looked at a piece of software called ACOVEA (Analysis of
> Compiler Options via Evolutionary Algorithm) by Scott Robert Ladd
> (http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/acovea/).
>
> This attempts to find the 'optimal' set of compiler flags for GCC
> (recently updated for GCC 4.0) using genetic algorithms. This seems to
> be particularly relevant for GCC, with the abundance of existing flags
> and options.

This is very interesting.  It seems to show that GCC has the defaults set
more towards the P4/Xeon than the Opteron.  That is, there is less
improvement in fiddling with the more esoteric compiler switches for the
P4/Xeon than for the Opteron.  In turn, this makes the Opteron even more
impressive since it beats the P4/Xeon quite handily even when it is not
completely optimized.

Thanks for the link.

Steve