[Beowulf] CCL:Opteron or Nocona ? (fwd from m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 9 14:24:11 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from mark somers <m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl> -----

From: mark somers <m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:38:06 +0200
To: Luigi Cavallo <cavallo at chemistry.unina.it>
Cc: chemistry at ccl.net
Subject: CCL:Opteron or Nocona ?

Dear Luigi Cavallo,

we have recently purchased and setup a new Beowulf cluster here in Leiden,
dedicated to run ADF and other DFT codes (Dacapo and Vasp) on it. We have
found the Nocona's, in combination with the Intel compilers, to be the best
combination especially for ADF and ADF-BAND.

Before we decided to go for the Nocona's, we did try with two test machines,
one being a dual-cpu AMD Opteron 246 (2.0 GHz) and the other being a dual-cpu
Nocona (3.0 GHz). Tests showed that the AMD has, in general, a slightly
better cache hierarchy and a better memory scalability, but also that the
lack of compilers able to tune for the Opterons is severe. Of course we took
the differences in cpu clocks into account.

As it turns out, after having contacted the SCM people in Amsterdam, ADF can
effectively use the SSE3 registers and cpu intruction set and that makes it
run fast on the Nocona's. This, together with the prices being roughly the
same, made us decide to go for the Nocona's.

BTW, maybe this is known to you already, but Intel offers you their OpenMP
capable compilers for free for academic use.

The machine is up and running now in 64 bit mode and doing fine ;-).

Maybe the information can help you in your decision.

Best regards,

Mark Somers.

--
Dr. M. F. Somers
Theoretical Chemistry - Leiden Institute of Chemistry  - Leiden University
mail: m.somers at chem.leidenuniv.nl
web:  http://rulgla.leidenuniv.nl/Researchers/Somers.htm
room: HB322

-= This is automatically added to each message by the mailing script =-
To send e-mail to subscribers of CCL put the string CCL: on your Subject: line
and send your message to:  CHEMISTRY at ccl.net