[Beowulf] Re: vectors vs. loops

Douglas Eadline - ClusterWorld Magazine deadline at clusterworld.com
Thu May 5 09:32:19 PDT 2005

Phil

I find your statements and conclusions so out of context that I cannot
respond in a meaningful way.

-Doug

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Philippe Blaise wrote:

> Douglas Eadline - ClusterWorld Magazine wrote:

> >>But, does the hpc marketplace have a direction ?
> >>

> >Just as any market place it is ruled by price/performance. One could argue
> >that during the "vector machine" epoch there was an artificial market that
> >was due to the cold war. Performance at any price was an important
> >strategic issue.
> >

> You really think, that even today, the market place is ruled by price /
> performance ratio ?
> So why don't we use millions of slow and cheap cpus ?
> With this kind of argument we must stop the research programs, and try
> to transform all the
> scientific codes for embarrisingly parallel computing !
>
> More seriously, the market place seems mostly governed by big US
> companies and
> financial directors.
> Moreover, remember that some years ago NEC and Fujitsu supercomputers
> have been
> taxed by the US government. (and that was not during the cold war !).
> See for example
> http://www.freetrade.org/pubs/articles/cd-supercomputer.html
>
> Today everyone should be happy to see that some companies like Cray
> are trying to do better than HP or IBM in the linux cluster area, event
> it if it's not
> the Cray of yesterday as you said.
> I think that this is partially due to the "NEC earth simulator effect",
> and that linux clusters
> performances and functionalities are not fantastic for parallel jobs
> compare to a good old T3E.
>
> The price/perf ratio is too simplistic.
> The marketplace at a given instant means nothing.
>

> Phil.

Editor-in-chief                   ClusterWorld Magazine
Desk: 610.865.6061
Cell: 610.390.7765         Redefining High Performance Computing
Fax:  610.865.6618                www.clusterworld.com