[Beowulf] First 96-Node Transmeta Desktop Cluster Ships

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu May 5 07:10:08 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Piskorski" <atp at piskorski.com>
To: <Beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] First 96-Node Transmeta Desktop Cluster Ships

> On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 12:35:14AM +0200, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>
> > Please note that nowadays your salaries for programmers, world wide
seen,
> > are not true at all.
>
> If I recall correctly, the example given was a "structural analyst"
> costing an employer 250k USD/year; he said nothing specific about
> programmers, or software.  This is a reasonable example.  There are
> many, many highly skilled workers in different niches (including
> programmers) around the world who cost their employers easily that,
> sometimes much, much more (think Wall Street traders.)

Note well, also, that the $250K/yr corresponds to the "fully burdened cost"
of a $100k/yr salaried employee.  Adding in taxes, infrastructure, benefits,
some fraction of that employee's manager, profit, etc. costs.  Bicker all
you want about whether burden should be 50%, or 100% or 150%, the general
arguments remain the same.  Just to set a context though, strictly benefits
and taxes runs about 50-60% in most companies. (13% for FICA, for instance)