[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:39:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:37:24PM -0500, Mike Davis wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at opterons for our next cluster, but I'm not sure about
> > what OS to run. Thus far we've been with RH and or RHAS. But, the next
> > cluster will be big and I'm just not sure what we should run.
>
> In order to get the best performance out of your Opterons, you're
> going to want to run a recent 64-bit distro with a 2.6 kernel, such as
> FC 3 or RHEL 4.

We're running FC2 with e.g.

rgb at s00|B:1001>uname -a
Linux s00 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp #1 SMP Tue Aug 3 09:34:09 EDT 2004 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It's been pretty stable and gives good decent numerical performance.
Are there particular advantages to FC3 and the more recent 2.6 kernels?
I'm running only one experimental AMD 64 box with FC3 on it (since Duke
has decided to use only every other FC release in production to stretch
the cycle a bit) and don't have an opteron per se set up that way for
comparison.

   rgb