[Beowulf] Re: The move to gigabit - technical questions

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Mar 18 01:12:07 PST 2005

Hello,

e1000 is a really good performer _IF_ you switch of ITR
(InterruptThrottleRate) when loading the module.. (this is not default).

Try adding the following to your modules.conf (or modprobe.conf if 2.6)

options e1000 InterruptThrottleRate=0,0

(use =0 if one NIC, 0,0 if two, 0,0,0,0 if four... and so on).

/Peter

On Thursday 17 March 2005 03.42, steve_heaton at ozemail.com.au wrote:
> G'day all
>
> Somewhat relevant... Part of my benchtesting exersize on my DIY beowulf was
> a comparison between running the onboard FastEthernet v's adding an Intel
> 1000MT GigaE adapter.
>
> I changed the MPI config to ensure the MPI traffic had the GigaE to itself
> and "other" traffic went via the FastE.
>
> I ran the full MPI perftest suite. Sample graphs on this web page:
>
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sheaton/lss/
> -> Computing
>
> It was indeed "a bit" faster.
>
> There's some NetPipe results in there too. I can provide more details if
> any one is interested.
>
> Note: I know magic can be worked with the Intel driver but this is
> "vanilla" ATM.
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>

> This message was sent through MyMail http://www.mymail.com.au