[Beowulf] Folding at Home on a Beowulf?

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 04:21:23 PST 2005

Brian R Smith wrote:
> [...]
> Just set up f at h on each machine, giving each a different machine id
> number, 1-6 should suffice.  As for getting the data sets, you should
> probably find some way of getting these nodes online... Do you have a
> switch or some extra ethernet ports?  Maybe use one of the machines as a
> router?  You could also whip up a script that would "pretend" to be each
> instance of a machine id (1-6), receive the data, then place it in the
> proper directory in each node.

Hello, Brian.

We've run both SETI at home and folding at home on our 64-node openMosix
Beowulf cluster using David Ranch's software firewall on the 'head' node
to allow IP masquerading of the compute nodes on the public internet
through our private cluster LAN:

	http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

It works very well :-)

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687