[Beowulf] Re: [Bioclusters] Direct connect infiniband/quadrics?

Glen Otero gotero at linuxprophet.com
Tue Mar 15 10:10:32 PST 2005

Speaking to the workable question--I've built small clusters just like
you described with Quadrics, Infiniband and Rocks. Quadrics support
isn't built into Rocks, but the Quadrics folks typically make their
software Rocks-aware. Infiniband support is supposedly built into
Rocks, but I haven't heard any success stories with it. It seems that
it's too Infinicon-centric. So you may be limited to using Infinicon
gear to make that work. I have experience making the openIB stuff work
with Rocks, so that is the path I would recommend. Mellanox and Topspin
are good to work with, as is Quadrics, when it comes to shoe-horning
their software onto Rocks clusters.

You'll see better performance even with two nodes. But I'd take a hard
look at what it will cost you to scale out with either interconnect and
decide if the difference in latency is worth the difference in price.

Glen