[Beowulf] Quasi-Non-Von-Neumann hardware in a Beowulf cluster.

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Mar 11 00:34:43 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 11:13 -0800, David Mathog wrote:
> "Omri Schwarz" <ocschwar at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Would specialty  (albeit commodity) coprocessors hanging off a
> > PCI slot be suitable for your applications?
>
> Well, a couple of points:
>
> 1.  There may very well be no PCI slot available for such a
> coprocessor.  Forget about it for a 1U,
Don't wish to be a pain,
but our 1U nodes have space for at least one PCI card.
MSI dual-Opteron nodes can take two.
One is on a riser card above the mainboard, one
is at 180 degrees to that.
Same motherboard used in Sun V20z, so can take two PCI.

I'd imagine the same for other suppliers.

Is your point that there may be a slot and a riser card,
but there is not enough space to fit a coprocessor card in
a 1U? I'll agree there.