[Beowulf] DCC (debian cluster components)

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Fri Mar 4 06:22:08 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 08:03:00AM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Is FAI being loved by somebody at this point?  There was a time a few
> years ago where it seemed to be lying fallow (although as always I could
> be mistaken about that).  Toolsets like that usually need a fairly
> active and energetic human to care for them, if not several...
I like FAI and although it is just a set of scripts, it seems to be
stable. I've used it 1.5 years ago for the first time to install first
10 nodes  on the cluster. I had to tweak it to make it work but then
whenever we've got 15 more nodes 5 month ago, my old FAI configuration
required just few adjustments to make its job.

DCC seems to use the idea of "image-based installation model" opposed to
FAI which is flexible cloned installation. For uniform clusters
image-based installation probably is better than FAI which admits
different classes of the configuration, thus is more flexible.

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]