[Beowulf] Re: Opteron 275 performance

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Jul 29 10:34:47 PDT 2005

In message from Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> (Thu, 28
Jul 2005 22:25:35 -0400):
>Hi Philippe:
>
>   I don't have an accurate measurement at this moment.  I have been
>working on measurement using the performance counters.
>
>   What I did not run, but would like to see is a set of streams
>numbers
>per core, for 1,2,3,4 on the system.

I performed like tests: for 2p/4c Opteron 275 w/DDR333, w/Linux 2.4.21
SMP kernel.
The results for different compilers (ifort, pgf77, pathf90) said the
same: scaling of memory throughput from 1 to 2 cores is much more
worse,
than for single core Opteron 242; "scaling" from 2 cores to 4 cores
of dual Opteron 275 server gives *decrease* of throughput. It looks
that w/o (NUMA+CPU affinity) the results are bad.

This results w/some other tests, including computational chemistry
benchmarks will be soon published in russian "Open Systems" journal,
but they will be on russian :-)

Yours
Mikhail