[Beowulf] Re: Opteron 275 performance

Steve Cousins cousins at limpet.umeoce.maine.edu
Wed Jul 27 16:59:00 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Joe Landman wrote:

> Hi Steve:
>
>    Not knowing the details of your calculations might be an issue, but
> you can read about our experiences with a number of chemistry and
> informatics codes on dual core Opteron systems.  See
> http://enterprise2.amd.com/downloadables/Dual_Core_Performance.pdf for
> more details.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot.  I just took a look and it seems to make a good case for
getting the Dual Dual Core machine.

I'm fairly certain that the memory latency issue that Vincent was warning
about won't be an issue, although I'm a bit clueless about how to know for
sure.  How would I go about finding out if our model is TLB trashing main
memory?  I feel like I just bit the hook... I don't want to start a huge
discussion on this but if there are some quick tell-tale signs of it I'd
be interested to find out.

Thanks,

Steve