[Beowulf] New HPCC results and the Myri viewpoint

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:59:55 PDT 2005

Actually, I tend to disagree with your comment here.  The curve tells
you one of the characteristics of the network, which is VERY useful
in evaluating a network before you expend time/effort testing your
code on it (assuming you know your code well).  On its own (without
lots of other micro benchmarks) I agree that it is useless.

In my own experience, I tend to find that most codes are not latency
sensitive (that is, QsNetII, Infinipath, Myricom etc are effectively
the same, on a latency sense, to most codes)... until they try and
scale to the 1000's of cpu's.  All of a sudden simple things like
barriers and synchronisation etc can become expensive on networks
with higher latencies.  Things that the software writer wasn't
expensive start to dominate their code.  Hence, the ping-pong
latencies and ring latencies are useful in giving you an idea of how
well the larger codes will scale.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at gmail.com