[Beowulf] Re: dual core (latency)

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:05:44 PDT 2005

The first thing to note is that as you add cpu's the cost of the
cache snooping goes up dramatically.  The latency of a 4 cpu (single
core) opteron system is (if my memory serves me correctly) around
120ns.  Which is significantly higher than the latency of a dual
processor system (I think it scales roughly as O(n^2) where n is the
number of cpu's).

Now, with a dual core system, you are effectively halving the
bandwidth/cpu over the hyper transport AND increasing the cpu count,
thus increasing the amount of cache snooping required.  The end
result is drastically blown-out latencies.

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
Industry Uptake Program Leader