[Beowulf] [gorelsky at stanford.edu: CCL:dual-core Opteron 275performance]

Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:31:35 PDT 2005

We use numa tools to lock each process in an MPI job to a particular
cpu and sets its memory affinity to the directly attached memory.
The result is very effective.  We are able to get very reliable
performance.

It required that someone in the group write a new mpirun to do all
the placement (which required lots of hooks into the queue to
determine exactly which cpu's to run on etc) and memory policies
etc.  We also use the "job" kernel module to place each task in a job
which means that a task can't escape our control.

To seg to another discussion, we are using SUSE and it is quite
nice.  It is very progressive in the kernel modules it includes and
works very well (it also happens to be the only linux that SGI
supports).  Of course, running YAST completely blows away our
customisations, so we avoid using any of the configuration tools and
just modify the files ourselves.

Stu.

--
Dr Stuart Midgley