[Beowulf] SuSE 9.3

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jul 12 02:52:42 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 11:08 +0200, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Fedora core 2 i already tried and when installed at my dual, it was wasting
> cpu time for nothing. The worst distribution ever. Not worth downloading if
> your intentions are more than 'just run linux'. If you need to run
> applications that will eat system time, Fedora Core is the worst choice.
>
> In general Suse and Redhat are deteriorating, only their commercial product
> lines might be doing fine, which are what is it, $1500 a piece or so in
> case of Redhat?
I hesitate to get embroiled in this one.

Redhat do not sell Linux. They can't - it is GPLed.
What they do sell is support and binary updates, that is what you pay
for.
And many commercial companies - finance, oil and gas, engineering,
decide that they need support, and just as importantly a distribution
which their applications are certified to run on.
Also remember that it is common to have compute nodes running
Workstation, which is much cheaper.
Redhat play fair and release the source for updates.

> Suse 9.3 was a waste of money. It doesn't even install correct. Either you
> get 'kernel panic', or some file system stuff is going wrong.
That's your choice, and your finding with your hardware.
We are very happily shipping SuSE 9.3 on Opteron clusters, including
dual cores.