[Beowulf] SuSE 9.3

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 12 02:08:26 PDT 2005

Fedora core 2 i already tried and when installed at my dual, it was wasting
cpu time for nothing. The worst distribution ever. Not worth downloading if
your intentions are more than 'just run linux'. If you need to run
applications that will eat system time, Fedora Core is the worst choice.

In general Suse and Redhat are deteriorating, only their commercial product
lines might be doing fine, which are what is it, $1500 a piece or so in
case of Redhat?

Suse 9.3 was a waste of money. It doesn't even install correct. Either you
get 'kernel panic', or some file system stuff is going wrong.

Amazingly Suse 9.0 at the same machine worked fine (but of course 2.4.x is
wrong kernel for a quad opteron so i must upgrade that).

Anyone tried opensolaris.org actually and download their compiler at
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/sun_studio_tools/

Or is this all a big commercial show from Sun?