[Beowulf] SuSE 9.3

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:17:04 PDT 2005

Michael,

I would forget trying to find a single comprehensive guide for a
specific distribution as many of these guides, from what I have seen,
make certain assumptions about your situation that simply aren't
correct.

Usually, setting up a cluster is fairly distribution-independent meaning
it really doesn't matter if you're using SuSE or RedHat or one of the
many myriads of distributions out there.

SuSE does come with a few helpful packages like mpich/lam and queuing
software like OpenPBS, but in my experience, you are always better off
following a more generic model: build it yourself.

If you're running with SuSE, check out autoyast2
http://forgeftp.novell.com////yast/doc/SLES9/autoinstall/ref.html for
building your compute nodes.  If you need to run parallel software over
MPI, there are many resources available for setting up MPI and many of
these offer help with configuring basic services like rsh/ssh to work
correctly in these setups.  Here, google is your friend.  Look for
'mpich'.  There is plenty of documentation goodness on job scheduling
(and its respective software(s)) and a good deal of general systems
administration principles still apply to running a cluster.

Also, read Robert Brown's book
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Beowulf/beowulf_book.php
and get an idea of exactly what it is you need to do because "setting up
a cluster using x" is a very generic question.  I've made the assumption
that you meant "HPC" or "High-Performance Computing", but we all know
about assuming things... Is this HPC, HTC, or HA?  Are you trying to run
scientific codes in parallel or are you trying to cluster an Oracle
database?

-Brian