[Beowulf] MPICH2 on Scyld

R Hamann rhamann at uccs.edu
Fri Jan 7 13:50:39 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to (at the last minute) get MPICH2 running on a SCyld
cluster, the old version which you get on the free cdrom. The problem
is I don't have root on the cluster, so I am working from my home
directory.

I ssh into the master from outside. I can bpsh to the other nodes in
the cluster, but I can't seem to get mpd started on the other nodes
using bpsh.  It returns the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/rwhamann/bin/mpd", line 1369, in ?
     _process_cmdline_args()
   File "/home/rwhamann/bin/mpd", line 1301, in _process_cmdline_args
     g.myIP = gethostbyname_ex(g.myHost)[2][0]
socket.gaierror: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

When I bpsh to the other nodes, my path is correct and which points me
to the current MPI programs and current version of python, both in my
home directory.

Has anyone ever done this before without root access, or can give me
some pointers?

Ron