[Beowulf] Re: Mac Mini Monster (fwd from bryan.jones at m.cc.utah.edu)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 12 02:40:19 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Bryan Jones <bryan.jones at m.cc.utah.edu> -----

From: Bryan Jones <bryan.jones at m.cc.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:23:01 -0700
To: Drew McCormack <drewmccormack at mac.com>
Subject: Re: Mac Mini Monster

Yeah, I talked about it earlier on Slashdot today.  If you run the
calculations, there are situations where a little bookshelf of 7 or so
Mini Macs has a better payoff than a couple of Xserves.  Of course this
will depend upon ones task and whether or not the Mini Macs have a
Level 3 cache.....

At the very least, it is a very cheap way to do cluster development.

Bryan

On Jan 12, 2005, at 1:08 AM, Drew McCormack wrote:

>Has anyone out there thought about the possibility of building a Mac
>Mini cluster? I can imagine that for certain applications, that don't
>do much in the way of communicating, it could be a cheap option. They
>couldn't require too much in the way of energy, and you can probably
>stack 50 on a 2m x 1m desk.
>
>The idea reminds me a bit of people that build Sony Playstation
>clusters, except Mac mini is the real deal. OS X under the hood. Hard
>disk. You name it.
>
>Just an idea,
>Drew

Bryan William Jones, Ph.D.