[Beowulf] Re: Re: Home beowulf - NIC latencies

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 16 05:12:23 PST 2005

At 06:28 16-2-2005 -0500, Patrick Geoffray wrote:
>Rossen,
>
>Rossen Dimitrov wrote:
>>

>>> So if you run an MPI application and it sucks, this is because the
>>> application is poorly written ?
>>

>> Patrick, here the argument is about whether and how you "measure" the
>> "performance of MPI". I guess you may have missed some of the preceding
>> postings.
>
>No, I was pulling your leg :-) The bigger picture is that MPI has no
>performance in itself, it's a middleware. You can only measure the way
>an MPI implementation enable a specific application to perform. Only
>benchmarking of applications is meaningful, you can argue that
>everything else is futile and bogus.

A problem of MPI over DSM type forms of parallellism has been described
very well by Chrilly Donninger with respect to his chessprogram Hydra which
runs at a few nodes MPI :

For every write :

MPI_Isend(....)
MPI_Test(&Reg,&flg,&Stat)
while(!flg) {
    Hydra_MsgPending();  // Important, read in messages and process them
while waiting on complete. Otherwise the own Input-Buffer can overflow
                                         // and we get a deadlock.
    MPI_Test(&Reg,&flg,&Stat);
}

The above is dead slow simply and delays the software.

In a DSM model like Quadrics you don't have all these delays.

Can Myri memory on the card (4MB and 8MB in the $1500 version) get used to
directly write to the RAM on a remote network card?

If so which library can i download for that for myri cards?

Thanks in advance,
Vincent