[Beowulf] Re: Re: Re: Re: Home beowulf - NIC latencies (Greg Lindahl)

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Feb 11 11:15:05 PST 2005

Greg Lindahl wrote:

>Amen. So use the MM5 t3a benchmark, maybe even SPEC HPC, the canned
>benchmarks for Amber, Charmm, DL_POLY, etc. The NAS Parallel
>Benchmarks are also good, they are much closer to real apps than
>microbenchmarks.
>
>-- greg

Double Amen. ( is that a long Amen??)
;-)

Now if we could only get all those benchmarks to agree with each other a
bit!
It's classic. Pick your arch, chipset, amount of RAM, clockspeed, NIC,
switch, and so on, and you can make a selective case for almost anything..

Although on SMP the Opterons are mainly kicking butt lately due to the
fact that their SMP performance is so superior..

And that brings up another can 'o worms:
SMP or uni ?
One can make a great performance case for either/both depending on your
goals.
<sigh...>

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

This email, message, and content, should be considered confidential,
and is the copyrighted property of Hard Data Ltd., unless stated otherwise.