[Beowulf] MPICH2: Handle Limit?

R Hamann rhamann at uccs.edu
Fri Feb 4 11:31:01 PST 2005

Rob,

I thought any limit would be wierd, let alone something like 84 (7 X
12?)  Anyway, I thought it was based on the number of MPI variables
declared (data_types, windows, requests) because every time I added
new declarations, it would hang on Fedora core 2, but run to
completion on Scyld (but with erroneous results). If I deleted unused
MPI declarations, it would start to work again.  I counted all my
handles and came up with 84.

However, after deleting two 26 element arrays of handles, I thought it
would work.  When I added more handles, it bombed again.  I started to
try other things.  I added 4 junk ints.  I didn't use the variables I
declared, but it still bombed.  When I converted them to chars, it
started working again.  Very strange.

Have you ever encountered this before?   I'm doing a 3d cellular
automata, so I need a lot of datatypes for exchange of ghost cells.
 It's obviously some strange error I've made that's manifesting itself
in MPI instead of a runtime or sytax error.  I'm gonna try looking for
any buffer overruns now, but other than that I'm stumped.

GCC on Fedora Core 2 and on Scyld Beowulf
MPICH 2 1.0

Thanks,