[Beowulf] Re: real hard drive failures

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Feb 1 09:34:32 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 14:14 -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> on that note, though - does anyone have comments about booting
> machines from flash?

I've booted a mini-ITX system from flash,
the distribution in question was a wireless access point.
All you need is a CF to IDE adapter.

Its common to have firewall distributions, such as ipcop,
to boot from flash.
http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/html/mkflash.html

I believe one wrinkle is to either log to a remote host,
or if you log locally to log to a ramdisk and only write to
the CF card at infrequent intervals.

John Hearns

ps.
>sounds like putting mudflaps and a cattle bar on a city-SUV.

Called Chelsea Tractors in the part of the world I live in.