[Beowulf] Re: Estimating cluster power consumption - I/O issues

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Fri Dec 16 13:40:57 PST 2005

" ... and being able to boot and run each system individually from
its own hard drive will save you a world of time and possible
frustration. ..."

" ... ... Some may argue the exact opposite. ..."

" ... ... ... Well, it *is* one of the most fundamental religious
arguments of high performance clusters. ..."

Granted and granted. It would seem that in the initial stages of
building and bringing up a new beowulf system by a relatively new
comer, the ability to boot from hard drive each individual node with
potentially buggy code ... would seem to be an advantage. After
debugging these systems, of course, processor speeds are enhanced if
the buses (and power supplies) of each node are "lightened up".
Removal of anything that "hand shakes" with bus = removal of
extraneous video, I/O, drives and other bus linked hardware and
features, likewise ... improves performance. (I notice that some
performance system builders also fail to "disable" many built-in
features in CMOS BIOS setup ... thus unknowingly degrading
processor / bus performance.)

Ed
FireWireStuff.com