[Beowulf] RE: Compare and contrast MPI implementations

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Thu Dec 15 13:37:48 PST 2005

>> MPI detente is possible. Check out the modules package.
>>
>> http://modules.sourceforge.net/
>
> Sort of the same problem though.  lamboot (from lam-mpi) assumes
> that hboot is in the path.  There's no time before it invokes
> hboot to run "modules".  If there were a preceding stage in
> this instance just using an export statement with PATH would
> have done the trick.

When I used modules in the past, there were environments set up for
compilers and MPIs.

For instance if I wanted to run LAM/MPI compiled for the Intel Compiler,

module load intel
module load lam/intel

now I have a Intel compiler and LAM environment (compiled for intel).

Now the module configuation files need to be created and
you will need an MPI tree (/opt/mpi/) where you have a bunch of MPI
versions. I have found modules one of the most useful things
on a cluster (from a users point of view).

--
Doug

> Is there some way to coerce lamboot to either:
>
> 1.  set up environmental variables (preferably via  a script) before
> running its "hboot" command.
> or
> 2.  run something other than "hboot" (ie /usr/common/bin/hboot).
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Mathog
> mathog at caltech.edu

Doug