[Beowulf] Software Raid

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Dec 13 13:27:08 PST 2005

Paul wrote:
> I read in a post somewhere that it was not possible to use a Linux
> software RAID configuration for shared file storage in a cluster.

I think that depends on what exactly you mean by cluster.  Some HW RAID
cards support a 'clustered' mode that is different from what we think of
as a beowulf cluster.  Their version of 'cluster' is two raid cards
attached to the same set of disks.  If one raid card/machine goes away,
the other can take over.  This is not something software raid for linux
supports.

Now, if you're talking about a software raid filesystem, and sharing out
to a cluster using nfs/samba/etc, then it works fine.