[Beowulf] Software Raid

Michael T. Prinkey mprinkey at aeolusresearch.com
Tue Dec 13 19:51:18 PST 2005

Honestly, I am wondering if the Software/Hardware RAID argument has
devolved to the state of SCSI versus ATA or (heaven forfend) emacs versus
vi.  8)

My experiences with hardware raid have been consistently lack luster over
7 years and several generations of hardware.  My experiences with software
RAID servers (specifically built for the task) have been largely positive.
When I read comments extolling the virtues of hardware RAID solutions, I
find myself constantly wondering if I could be missing something after
some many years and many dozens of deployed units.

To provide numbers, I am really only concerned if the raid array can
saturate the gigabit line feeding it.  On-server performance is pretty
useless as no work is ever done directly on the RAID servers.  For reading
data, the server could certainly saturate gigabit...Bonnie on the NFS
mount gave roughly 85 MB/sec for software RAID5.  When we deployed an
8-drive RAID5 array using hardware RAID on the SATA 3ware card,
performance was on the order of 15 MB/sec.  We had initially deployed
these raid servers using the hardware RAID5 setup, but we had several user
complaints about poor storage performance.  So we retooled with software
RAID and the rest is history.

Clearly, YMMV.

Mike