[Beowulf] Looking for NFS Server performance comparison

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Wed Dec 7 14:01:00 PST 2005

Hi Gang,

This may be a rehash, but I'm looking for any references to papers
that address the issue of NFS server scalability in a cluster
environment.  Our current cluster here at Duke is right at 500 nodes
(and growing) and the single NFS server with attached SCSI drives
serving all data to all nodes just doesn't seem to hack it anymore.

I know that there are clustered solutions like PVFS, IBRIX, et. al.
as well as the dedicated filer approach (NetApp, EMC, etc.) and we
are looking at those. But first we need to convince the powers that
be that a Linux-based NFS server just ain't going to cut it as we
move forward.

So if anyone knows of good documents (white papers, conference
papers, etc.) that will support my assertion, I would appreciate a
pointer to them.

Thanks,

-bill

bill rankin, ph.d. ........ director, cluster and grid technology group
wrankin at ee.duke.edu .......................... center for computational
duke university ...................... science engineering and medicine
http://www.ee.duke.edu/~wrankin .............. http://www.csem.duke.edu