[Beowulf] Wake-on-LAN on old computers

Mattijs Janssens m.janssens at opencfd.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 01:51:36 PST 2005

Wake-on-lan is where the nic is still powered (using only a few watts)
and responds to a special ethernet packet sent to its MAC address. On
Linux I know the command 'ether-wake' with MAC address will do this but
there should be plenty of other tools around.

Sure you could put an ether-wake of all the nodes in the startup
scripts. (ether-wake of a running node has no effect). Likewise you
could have the power down scripts do e.g.

ssh root at node poweroff

to all the other nodes. This requires passwordless ssh though so might
not be a good idea.

(on our own Linux cluster I had to add a

echo '5' > /proc/acpi/sleep

to the end of the /etc/init.d/halt script to make the nodes go into
sleep instead of fully power down. Probably there is a neater way?)

Mattijs