[Beowulf] 90nm opteron power usage

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 8 10:59:30 PDT 2005

I managed to hook up my kill-a-watt to a dual opteron 2.6 GHz, 4GB pc3200,
and a 73GB scsi disk (a sun v20z).  The highest power consumption I
could find was was running 1 distributed.net client per cpu.

The results was 197-198 watts and 200-201 VA.  I'm quite impressed,
our 2.2GHz version of the same box is in the 270-300 watt range.

Has anyone found a (free/open) code that manages higher power consumption
than the distributed.net client?

Kudos to AMD for such a big improvement, I thought it might be useful
for those planning cooling or power for any of the newer 90nm AMD chips.

Anyone have similar numbers for a new dual nacoma/64 bit xeon?

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering