[Beowulf] block runing jobs individually on each node

Josip Loncaric josip at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 7 15:54:07 PDT 2005

jerry xu wrote:
> Hi, Dear All:
>    I am managing a simple 24 nodes beowulf cluster, basically I require
> all my jobs are running through PBS. However, some undergraduate
> students in our lab always try to ssh to each individual node in the
> cluster and run their jobs, which is pretty bad for me to managing the
> resources and control my program running status. I remember there is way
> to block people running job that is seperated from the batch system but
> at the same time still allow them ssh to each node to grab some tmp
> files?. But I just donot remember how to do it, can anyone give some
> directions?

If blocking remote logins for normal users isn't enough and you need
more explicit control, see the OpenPBS instructions under "Using PAM to
enforce PBS node assignments, prologue/epilogue" at
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/openpbs/ (the README file is at
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/openpbs/patches/pbs_enforce/README_PBS_prologue_epilogue.txt).

Sincerely,
Josip