[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Apr 6 08:16:52 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 13:04 -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
> Actually Redhat now has HPC pricing per node.  There are other good
> reasons to look elsewhere for HPC distributions though, specifically due
> to their lack of good high performance/scalable per-node file system.
> SuSE at least makes XFS and JFS available, and you can build/install a
> system with these.

Let me put a plug in for Scientific Linux.
Releases will have security updates for 3 years
https://www.scientificlinux.org/about/future

SL 4 is in beta, and will be released imminently.

You get XFS by installing an alternate kernel (provided in contrib)

(We were looking at distribution lifecycle times yesterday in fact, for
a tender response.
If I'm not wrong, Redhat say 7 years for RHEL, and SuSE say 5)