[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Apr 6 08:36:19 PDT 2005

Richard Walsh wrote:

> This is the definition I have always thought was the most fundamental.
> The word
> is used colloquially most of the time.  In fact, the truth of an axiom
> is always debatable.

One of the great dangers of dealing with language as a modality for
communication is the concept of a definition, and the varied
interpretations one can have of a definition.  The imprecision in a
language lends itself to grey areas, such as

  J: Axiom == X
M: Axiom == Y

M/J: X != Y

Of course, the problem is that even with precise languages stuff like
this happens (to wit Goedel's completeness bits).

> We simply come to rest on a idea so that we can proceed to
> act/compute/design/think
> etc.  ... but we must always be aware of the potential for
> overreaching.  Perhaps the
> most basic axiom is that of the notion of identity (one cannot count
> without it), but
> we all know that in fact no two things are identical.

:)

Do we really?  I expect an electron looks like every other electron (but
never having seen one, this is of course a guess).  A foundation of our
observational sciences include being able to discern between different
and identical things.

>We carry on with
> it anyway
> because the implications (all of mathematics) are so useful and
> interesting.

I suspect that it is a little more rigorous than that.  We develop
formalisms that allow us to test things reductio ad-absurdium to help
define things better.  This allows us to build up rigorous and
(hopefully) testable hypotheses.

Then again, I like the simplicity of "we do math because it is useful".

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com