[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Mon Apr 4 22:05:48 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 12:08:04AM -0400, Ed Hill wrote:

> So, you're using a FREE distro (one with a quick release schedule and a
> well-documented "rolling beta nature") where they fixed-in-next-release
> ALL THREE of your reported bugs and, based on that outcome, you've
> "learned to avoid wasting [...] time filing" them?

Yes. It's easy for Red Hat to release updates, they certainly pretend
to release updates, and they updated quite a few other things in FC1.
This is an extremely different standard of support than for RHEL,
which is fine (I wasn't paying), but I found the whole bug process so
disagreeable so as to not bother reporting any more bugs. I don't
think this is radical; if RH wants the community to help debug their
product, they need to be nice about it.

> Wow.  You sound like a fun guy to work with.

I am, but for different reasons than this :-)

PathScale, on the other hand, almost always does "fix in next
release", but that's because the QA process for a compiler is
radically different from a distro, and we release every 3
months. Different style of product, different level of support, so you
can't really compare FC and PathScale's compiler in any way. Apples
and oranges. I assure you that you'll find our bug process a lot
more warm and fuzzy.

-- greg