[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 01:50:44 PDT 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:
>>>this is utterly pointless, since we seem to disagree on axioms:
>>
>>Not really.  We disagree on basic definitions.  Axioms are accepted
>>"truths".
>

> no.  axioms are the assumptions that underly a discussion.
> disagreeing on axioms leads only to the kind of noise we've been engaging in.
> I apologize for not quitting sooner.

Hello, Mark.

Although you may feel that this is pointless, I've found it quite useful
to read your exchanges with Joe. In fact, I think that you are *both*
right about what an 'axiom' is. The word has at least three meanings:

a. maxim: A self-evident or universally recognized truth.
b. law: An established rule or principle.
c. postulate: A self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true
    without proof as the basis for argument.

Perhaps, in a similar way, you might agree that other words can have
more than one meaning according to the context in which they are used?

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687