[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 1 22:55:13 PST 2005

Craig Tierney wrote on Friday 01 April 2005 11:25:
> Is the work they are doing in the kernel.org kernel yet?

I just checked, and it looks like the directory htree code has been around for
awhile, but the reservation and online resize was just merged in 2.6.10.
RHEL4 has 2.6.9 with patches.

> 3) xfs dynamically creates inodes, so I don't have to worry
> about that at creation time.  This is a big deal for diskless
> cluster installations.  I don't create filesystems all the
> time, and it only needs to be done once, but it is real annoying
> to wait 4-8 hours for a mkfs to finish under ext3 for multi-terabyte
> filesystems.

Ah, I had wondered why xfs took a few seconds to mkfs, when ext3 took 10s of
minutes or more on large filesystems.  Thanks.

Thanks Craig, I'll keep an eye out for delete speed, streaming, load and
failure response, and NFS speed.

David