[Beowulf] cpu/mobo recommendations

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 10:11:37 PDT 2004

I belive that the Archives for this year contain tons of advice to this tune.

To recap what I have read.

-Mobo and chips - bleeding edge can bleed you, Heat is the issue,
Quads are an option, SMP _can_ require uncommon ram setup on new
boards.

-Pick you case early.  - few screws, good vents, tested PS

-Request test units from vendors - just to see them

-Talk to Manufacturers. (example Tyan guys read this list)

-Diskless units have scale issues - VLAN them with bridges + multi
servers read as
"Do your network homework twice, once for startup and again for operation"

-Don't over look buying the hardware preconfigured

-Good server room means a good home - have plenty of AC and access control

-Read

-Be happy with what you choose.

Robert will fill in any gap I left.........