[Beowulf] Beowulf Application in the Sciences

050675 at student.unife.it 050675 at student.unife.it
Thu Sep 23 05:41:20 PDT 2004

> Hello all,

Hi Timo,

> Through my studies of computer clusters so far, it has become apparent
> to me that a lot of applications exist in both the Math and Physics
> fields (e.g. different types modeling, for instance in high energy
> physics, etc.).  I'm now really wondering what kind of applications
> exist in the other physical sciences such as biology and chemistry.  How
> would clusters be benefical in these areas?  I would greatly appreciate
> if someone could provide me with a few examples and some insight.

For the first question I can give to you some examples, even if I'm only a
newby in clustering. So, one of the primary goals of a cluster is to
reduce the time needed for complex computations. An interesting project is
seti at home http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ where you can use your
computer(s) to search for extraterrestrial intelligence. You can install
this program (by running a simple script) and your pcs will receive a
little part of computations needed to capture a possible signal of life
coming from the universe.
Another possibility can be human dna encoding. Yes, the primary elements
that constitute the dna chain are a little bunch, but they can be combined
(by nature, or by man, in a possible and near future) in a very high
number of ways.
Also a car's structure (for example a Ferrari's one) requires a high
number of computations (to be aerodynamic, etc) and here a cluster may be
useful instead of a single computer.
Metheorology may be another example and so on.
I don't know if what I've said is correct. These are only my personal
considerations.

Simone Saravalli