[Beowulf] Re: building a new cluster

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Sep 4 10:11:25 PDT 2004

I am not familiar with infiniband, but if you have a switch with both
infiniband and ethernet, I suspect you can probably do okay with it. You
just have to realize that the 100 MBit network is not as fat a paipe as
infiniband. So when the infiniband network wants to talk to the
ethernet, that transaction is going to be slow.

Recently I needed to connect a couple of gigabit ethernet macines to
multiple fast ethernet machines, and ended up building a concentrator
out of cheap gigabit switches so that the gigabit bandwidth was more or
less usable. I picked up a little latency, but it was still an
improvement over plugging the gigabit nodes straight into a fast
ethernet switch.