[Beowulf] Tyan 2466 crashes, no obvious reason why

Tim Mattox tmattox at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 12:02:47 PDT 2004

Hello David Mathog,
I don't know if others do this, but if I can afford the downtime, I
will redistribute the components from a crashing node amongst
some known healthy nodes.  Then when the crash re-appears
on one of the nodes, I am fairly sure which is the faulty component.
This may not be worth your time though, since it's a pain to do.

As for your specific case, I've seen memory failures that will
get past 10 minutes on memtest86.  Try a longer run.
Swapping power supplies is a pretty good option as well.
You may want to also look for any leaking or bulging capacitors
on the motherboard.  Depending on how old your node is, it may
have been built when there was a rash of bad electrolyte used
in capacitors pretty much across the industry. The rash of
bad capacitors peaked a few years ago, so that doesn't seem
likely to me that you would only just now see a problem.

Good luck diagnosing the problem!

Tim Mattox - tmattox at gmail.com - http://homepage.mac.com/tmattox/